Sunday, 11 December 2016

uBlock Origin–An Ad Blocker for the Edge browser

uBlock Origin is a free open source browser extension that does content filtering and ad blocking. This extension now is available for the Edge browser and is available in the Windows Store. Navigate to: https://www.microsoft.com/en-nz/store/p/ublock-origin/9nblggh444l4 and go from there!

To use it, you  just install it and away you go. It just works. I tried it on one particular site that has a lot of ads AND refuses to show any content if you are using and ad blocker.  Not only does that site not complain about using an ad blocker, but the extension does rather well so far as I can tell:



Nice! Especially if you have someone in the family with epilepsy!

5 comments:

John Jensen said...

When I go to Windows Store on my machine (Windows 10 version 1607) it doesn't find uBlock origin. Any idea where I can get it?

Thomas Lee said...

I am running build 14393 = Windows 10 AU and it found it fine.

John Jensen said...

Hmm... Yes, me, too - Windows 10 AU 14393.447 to be precise. My machine is a member of an Active Directory domain - conceivably something is blocking it. If I search for uBlock in the store I get 33 films, 1 tv show, and 556 music offers. If I search for uBlock origin I get nothing. I'm in New Zealand. Maybe the Microsoft Store doesn't offer it here?

There are places on the web offering it, but the only one I would trust - ublock.org - offers it only for Chrome, Firefox, and Safari.

jj

Thomas Lee said...

I got it from here: https://www.microsoft.com/en-nz/store/p/ublock-origin/9nblggh444l4

John Jensen said...

Excellent. Thanks, so much, Thomas. I installed it from that link and it is fine.

jj